Monday, April 17, 2017

What Does and Doesn't Define Us

Hello everyone!

      As you know, it' so hard being a teenager, and adult; I guess you could say that it's just hard being human. We deal with puberty, which comes with weight gain, acne, sweat, hormones galore; we deal with trying to find out who we really are and try and keep friendships while doing so; we deal with growing more mature, and becoming who you truly are! We often get caught up in what/who defines us. We have all seen the "My past doesn't define me" quotes and for the most part those are true, I believe I have said that quote a time or two when somebody decides to bring up something about what I had done a year or two maybe even a month or two, before because a lot can happen in matter of years, days, months, even hours! I believe that you aren't defined by a lot of things society wants you to believe. But the other side of that is people know you by things you've done in the past. So we have to be careful. 

    Allow me to explain what things define us. I don't believe that we are defined by our weight, our face, our clothes, how good we can do makeup, how many people we are friends with, and things of that nature. I believe we are defined by whoever God wants us to be, He wants us to be holy, and set apart. He wants us to be different so people can see the love of Christ.

    To ingrain the idea that you are beautiful and God made you perfect, and He defines you, tell yourself each day that you are beautiful and you are fearfully and wonderfully made and that no weapon formed against you shall stand, and yes, sweet Child of God, words are weapons! They can hurt worse than something that physically pains you because they last longer, they're sometimes burned in your brain. I don't want you to allow yourself to believe it when people tell you you're ugly, even if they laugh, tell them, or maybe just tell yourself that you are beautiful in the sight of God, and that He made you the way you are for a reason. He made you and you don't want to disrespect Him by telling yourself you're ugly, or letting people get to you. I know it's hard, but it's a process that is essential. Even if you're not a girl, you are still amazing! You are still fearfully and wonderfully made and God made someone for each of us, they'll appreciate you! When people tell you that you're fat, or ugly DO NOT believe them! You may be a little overweight, but you can do what you can to get your temple of God healthy, and you may not be the prettiest but you are gorgeous, and you are so lovely in the eyes of God!

    I want to share a story with you, it's about a time about two weeks ago, that I felt so sad and fat honestly that I believed that this issue defined who I am. So I'm sitting in the doctor's office waiting on the nurse to call me back to get weighed and to go in for a follow up appointment on an issue I was having. After a few minutes the nurse called my name and told me which room to go in. I went in and got on the scales and it wasn't in pounds but I knew it was more than it had read last time, I was nervous. "Uh, could you tell me what that said please?" I asked the nurse. And she replied, "203, I believe." I cried, right there in that room, and I couldn't even answer the mandatory questions she asked me, my mom had to for me. When the nurse left and said my doctor would be in there in a few minutes my mom asked me if I thought that I was fat. I shook my head yes through the tears and she said, "Do you want a hug?" and I again shook my head yes. As she hugged me she said something else, "Do you know that you aren't? You aren't fat." I then shook my head no. I let that define who I was in that moment. It wasn't until the next day at school, when school was almost over, God spoke into my spirit and I wrote down the words, "203, doesn't define me". I knew I had to write a post about it! Of course I was mortified and didn't want my parents to tell anyone and of course they didn't. I wasn't going to tell anyone, I was going to just eat better, do more exercises and try to get skinnier. But, I need to tell you guys! 

   Even though my doctor didn't say I was over weight, or unhealthy, I want to lose 20 pounds, and I wanted to just drop it off right there in the doctor's office at the very moment she told me my weight. I know, I know, not happening! I chose to not let my weight define me now, and yes, I will lose weight and eat healthier, because it's the right thing to do but I won't let it get me down. Our body is a temple of God and He wants us to take care of it. 

   I urge you to make a list of things you think defines you and cross off anything that doesn't say anything about your character. What does define you is like I said, your character, how you treat people and how you react to the way people treat you, your maturity level, your generosity, and things that make you feel good! If you feel that makeup is something that makes you happy, then you can put that on your list, but pray about it first. But if you notice, it's all about your heart, mind, and soul, it has nothing to do with outside appearance. There's nothing wrong with looking good because we aren't supposed to look trashy, our bodies are temples of God (1 Cor. 6:19) remember? We should treat them that way. But don't take too much time in the mirror seeing how you look, instead just take enough time to see if you look presentable and tell yourself that you are going to have a good day, and you're going to be kind that day. Just by speaking things over your life and trying to do them that day, and always go one day at a time, you'll see results that are amazing!

   Do something for yourself, everyday tell yourself three things that you like about yourself, maybe your smile, your hair look amazing that day, you are intelligent, you were kind to someone who wasn't kind back or kind in the first place that day. Anything that makes you feel better about yourself because you look good, feel good, and act good the majority of the time. Don't let other people influence what you think defines yourself, you worry about you and try to build one another up.

  I hope this message helped you as much as it always helps me! Email me, message me on social media, if you need prayer, or anything! :)

                                                           God Bless You,
                                                               Kadesia :)

1 comment:

  1. Could not be more proud of you!!!! God has been using you so much. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete